In the summer of 1948, thirty-six people met under a shade tree on a farm south of Lincoln. They prayed and talked, then banded together on Wednesday, August 4th, to constitute the Fundamental Baptist Church of Lincoln, launching this journey of faith with 34 charter members.
On September 2nd, the congregation voted to incorporate the name of Victory Baptist Church. The members continued meeting under the tree until the week of October 13th, at which time the Mt. Pleasant School, north of Lincoln on Highway 121, was rented for a house of worship.
In 1949, the Lord led the people to purchase five lots on the corner of State and Short 11th Streets and on May 28th, the church started meeting in a tent on this corner. Construction soon began for the new church building and, in June of 1950, the church changed their name from Victory Baptist Church to State Street Baptist Church, identifying itself by their new location.
During the 50’s and 60’s the church progressed, growing from a one room school house to a church with an auditorium and Sunday school classes. Later the parking area was doubled to accommodate our growing church, a parsonage was built, and then, as our church grew more and more, it progressed to the building of a new wing of the church with an enlarged 250-seat auditorium and more classrooms.
The Lord continued to bless our church in the early 70’s during the pastorate of Bro. Virgil Graham. Highlights included the beginning of a Bus Ministry in 1971 covering much of Lincoln and Logan County, the remodeling of the old auditorium into classrooms, the purchase of property adjacent to the church for the expansion of our parking lot, turning our parsonage into much-needed Sunday school classes, and the start of a new radio program.
In March of 1975, Bro. S. M. Davis, was called as pastor with a 97% vote. He began his duties as pastor on Wednesday night, April 13th. Over the next 36 ½ years, under the leadership of Pastor Davis, the church and its outreach continued to expand.
Dr. Davis’ ministry as pastor oversaw the withdrawing from the Southern Baptist Convention in 1978, the beginning of our K-12 Christian Academy, expansion of the Heavenly Helps for Earthly Problems radio broadcast now heard all over the world, addition of local television broadcasts, the purchasing 12.5 acres of land for and building our current church, growth of our bus ministry, the starting of the Solve Family Problems CD/DVD ministry which is currently helping to strengthen families across the globe, the beginning of an annual Youth Conference, the starting and hosting of the Independent Baptist Student Convention, continued growth of our world missions program, the sending out of missionaries from our church, the building of a multi-purpose gym/fellowship hall, the start of a homeless ministry to Springfield, as well as innumerable other outreach ministries, and, most importantly, countless souls saved and lives changed.
In the fall of 2011, Pastor Davis suffered a heart attack. He then felt God guiding him to step down as pastor of Park Meadows Baptist Church and enter into full-time evangelism.
On, November 2nd, under Pastor Davis’ leading, the church voted in favor of calling our assistant pastor, Dr. Tony Bazen, to become the new pastor by a 98.5% majority. November 20, 2011, was Pastor Bazen’s first official Sunday as our pastor.
Pastor Bazen showed a genuine love and passion for people and for the outreach of the church, exhorting us to love one another and “be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) During his tenure as pastor, Bro. Bazen oversaw the continued growth of the missions program, encouraging and seeing many of our members reach foreign fields through missions trips to aid the work of our missionaries. He also began a remodeling program that has seen many beautiful improvements made to our church auditorium, hallways, vestibule, in the Ministry Center, as well as many of the classrooms.
On the evening of Sunday, August 24, 2014, Pastor Bazen informed the church of his need to resign due to health concerns. He lead the church to form a pulpit committee which then nominated and called our current Associate Pastor, Bro. J.W. Vance to take the Pastorate. On Sunday, September 7, with a 97% majority, the church voted to call Bro. Vance to be our pastor. His first official Sunday as pastor was September 14. We are excited for what God has in store for us in this new chapter of our church!